MuseumsHimeji City Shosha Art & Craft Museum
The Shosha Art & Craft Museum exhibits the works and collections of the late Kosho Shimizu, born in Himeji and a former head of Todai-ji Temple. There are also exhibitions of ttraditional Himeji crafts and local toys from all over Japan.
Primarily on Sundays and holidays, visitors can see demonstrations by craftsmen of Himeji papier-mâché, Himeji spinning tops (koma), and traditional Himeji dolls. Visitors can also try their hand at painting Himeji dolls and papier-mâché every day the museum is open. Traditional Himeji crafts are available for purchase in the store.
For inquiries by e-mail: email@example.com
Painting Himeji papier-mâché and dolls
Visitors can try their hand at painting local handicrafts like Himeji dolls and papier-mâché. On Fridays and Saturdays in particular, visitors will be able to receive instruction from traditional craftsmen. Your creations can be taken home the same day.
Time required: 30-60 minutes
Groups of 20 or more people: Please inquire.
Price: Himeji papier-mâché 800 yen and up, Himeji spinning tops 300 yen (Admission fee is required separately).
Coin locker available
Accepts credit cards
- Bus: Take Shinki Bus to the "Shoshazan Ropeway" bus stop and walk approx. 3 minutes
Car: 15 minutes from Himeji Nishi Ramp on Himeji Bypass. 10 minutes from Himeji Nishi Interchange on Sanyo Expressway
- Space for 45 regular-sized cars (Free)
- Business Hours
- 10:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. (Last entry at 4:30 p.m.)
- Adults 310 yen / University and high school students 210 yen / Junior high school and elementary school students 50 yen
*Groups of 20 or more receive a discount of 20%
*Free admission for disabled visitors and one caregiver is available upon presentation of a disability certificate.
- Mondays (except when Monday is a national holiday), the day after holidays (except Saturdays, Sundays, and holidays), and New Year's holidays (December 25th - January 5th)
- Barrier-Free Information
- No steps at entrance / No steps in hallway / Wheelchair accessible toilet / Wheelchair rental service / Elevator for wheelchair users
- 1223 Shosha, Himeji, Hyogo 671-2201
Himeji City Nature Observation Forest
The 60-hectare forest adjacent to the Sakurayama Reservoir has an 8-km observation trail where visi…
Shoshazan Engyo-ji Temple
Located on top of Mt. Shosha at an elevation of 371 meters, Engyo-ji Temple is an ancient temple of…