HistoryHimeji Senbabetsu-in Hontoku-ji Temple
This temple's history began in 1492, Rennyo, the 8th head priest of Hongan-ji Temple, ordered his disciples to construct a training center in Aga Inlet, in Harima Province, to begin missionary work. Later, the center was moved to Kameyama, Himeji, and as a part of the split between eastern and western sects of Jodo Shinshu Buddhism, the temple was established here as Himeji Senbabetsu-in Hontoku-ji Temple of the Otani sect of Shinshu Buddhism (of Higashi Hongan-ji Temple) in 1618 during the reign of Honda Tadamasa, lord of Himeji Castle.
Within the 21,846 square meter temple grounds, there is a main hall with 17 rooms complted in 1718, an imperial lodging space (known as an anzaisho) in which the Meiji Emperor stayed during his visit to Himeji, stone monuments dedicated to the 1877 Satsuma Rebellion of former samurai, and to imperial loyalists, and a castle model said to have been made by German POWs during WWI, all inconspicuously located within the temple.
Coin locker available
Accepts credit cards
- Train: Approx. 20 minutes walk from Himeji Station on JR or the Sanyo Electric Railway
Bus: Take Shinki Bus to "Hanakage-cho" or "Motomachi 3-chome" bus stops and walk approx. 3 minutes
- Business Hours
- 9:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.
- 1-1 Jinaimachi, Himeji, Hyogo 670-0044
This modern cemetary park is located on a hillside about 1 km northwest of National Treasure, Hime…
The West Pond ("Nishi-ike," or the Duck Pond, "Kamo-ike") built in 1617 by Masanaga Takebe, the fou…