1. Top
  2. Things to see
  3. Harimanokuni Main Shrine

HistoryHarimanokuni Main Shrine

According to shrine legend, in 787 the deity Hyozu was moved to Ono-e (near Himeji Medical Center today), and was later enshrined together with the deity Itate (Itate-no-Okami). In 1181, the newly appointed provincial governor enshrined together a combination of 174 shrines in order to simplify the pilgrimage routes in the province of Harima (a part of present-day Hyogo Prefecture). It is said that the shrine was moved to its present location between 1570 and 1581, and it was revered by the medieval Akamatsu clan (a samurai family) and the feudal lords of the Edo period (1603-1868). The large stone torii gate donated by the Edo period feudal lord Tadatsugu Sakakibara is designated an important property by the prefecture, the bronze bell in front of the shrine is designated an important property by the city, the model Mitsuyama floats from the shrine's Mitsuyama Festival is nationally designated, and the Hitotsuyama and Mitsuyama shrine rituals are designated important properties by the prefecture.

For email inquiries: info@sohsha.jp

Basic Information

  • Toilet Available

    Toilet Available

  • Restaurant On-site

    Restaurant On-site

  • Parking Available

    Parking Available

  • Shop Available

    Shop Available

  • Coin locker available

    Coin locker available

  • WiFi available

    WiFi available

  • Accepts credit cards

    Accepts credit cards

Train: 15 minute walk from Himeji Station on JR/Sanyo Electric Railway
Bus: Approx. 5 minute walk from Shinki Bus "Himejijo Otemon-mae (Higashi Houmen)" bus stop *To the south of Himeji Post Office
Car: Approx. 10 minutes to the north from the Nakachi Ramp on the Himeji Bypass
190 Sōshahonmachi, Himeji, Hyogo 670-0015
Harima-no-Kuni Souja Shrine Websiteopen in another tab
Social Media
Instagramopen in another tab