The CastleHimeji Castle (World Heritage Site & National Treasure)
After Himeji Castle was first constructed as a fort in 1333 by Akamatsu Norimura (Enshin), the feudal lords Hashiba (later known as Toyotomi) Hideyoshi, Ikeda Terumasa, and Honda Tadamasa entrusted their dreams into the castle and in 1617 expanded it to the full grandeur you can see today. The castle's appearance against the blue sky is often compared to an egret taking off from the water, and it is popularly known as "Shirasagi-jo (White Egret Castle). The following praise was also given to the castle when it was designated Japan's first UNESCO World Heritage Site in 1993: "It's aesthetic perfection places makes it one of the finest examples of wooden architecture in Japan, unparalleled anywhere in the world," and, "The castle is the best example of Japan's unique defensive castle structure, with its well-preserved turrets, gates, earthen walls, stone walls, moat, and other structures, especially the keep buildings, which were construction in the golden age of castle construction in the early 17th century." In 2015, conservation and repair of the main keep was completed, and visitors are now invited to see the structure's shining white plasterwork, which is a distinctive feature of Himeji Castle.
Coin locker available
Accepts credit cards
- Train: Approx. 1 km (approx. 15-20 minute walk) from the North Exit of Himeji Station (JR/Sanyo Electric Railway)
Bus: Take Shinki Bus from the North Exit of Himeji Station and get off at the "Himeji Castle Otemon-mae" bus stop (approx. 5 min. walk from the bus stop)
- Business Hours
- April 27th - August 31st: Gates Open 9:00 a.m., Close 5:00 p.m.
September 1st - April 26th: Gates Open 9:00 a.m., Close 4:00 p.m.
- Adults (18 years and older): 1,000 yen Children (elementary, junior high, and high school students): 300 yen
- December 29th, 30th
- Barrier-Free Information
- No steps at entrance / Wheelchair accessible toilet / Wheelchair rental service
- 68 Honmachi, Himeji, Hyogo 670-0012
Located on the northeast side of Tanga Island, Aoinohama is a swimming beach alongside Tate-no-hama…
Keigyokan (Former Edo Period School)
This former Hayashida Domain school (a "domain school" was for the children of domain retainers) wa…